Bookfinder.com for the last couple of years has been putting out a list of most sought after “out of print books”. They just released the Top 10 US out of print books of 2006
10) One Way Up (1964) by John F. Straubel
Chronicles the history of helicopter development
9) Once a Runner: A Novel (1978) by John L. Parker, Jr.
Cult classic about the sport of running; the sequel, Again to Carthage, is expected soon
To see 8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 go to the Bookfinder Blog. Link above.
Back in print
Book #8 on the list is actually no longer “out of print”. It is being reprinted December 2006. Link to book.
Out of Print Books for Librarians
Two for “our” list….
Prejudices and Antipathies by Sanford Berman
Joy of Cataloging by Sanford Berman
Top 10 US out of print books of 2006
By far the most requested out-of-print book at our library is Margin of safety : risk-averse value investing strategies for the thoughtful investor by Seth A. Klarman. We’ve purchased as many copies of the book as we can afford and have a couple of copies on reserve but still have a 2-3 month waiting list for circulating copies of the book. Apparently the author does not want the book to be reprinted despite it’s popularity.
Re:Top 10 US out of print books of 2006
Copies have been selling in the hundreds of dollars because you cannot buy a new copy. Did your library spring for a several hundred dollar copy? Just curious.
1. Sex (1992), Madonna
2. Sisters (1981), by Lynne Cheney
3. The Exorcism of Anneliese Michel (1981), by Felicitas D. Goodman
4. Where Troy Once Stood (1991), by Iman Wilkens
5. The Principles of Knitting (1988), by June Hemmons Hiatt
6. General Printing (1963), by Glen Cleeton
7. The New Soldier (1971), edited by John Kerry
8. The Lion’s Paw (1946), by Robb White
9. Dear and Glorious Physician (1959), by Taylor Caldwell
10. The Book of Counted Sorrows (2003), by Dean Koontz
1) The New Soldier by John Kerry
Vietnam Veterans Against the War’s account of a badly mismanaged war
2) Sisters by Lynne Cheney
Novel about women in 19th century Wyoming, some engaging in frontier lesbian romance
3) Sex by Madonna
The pop star’s first book, featuring erotic photos and more
4)The Holy Innocents by Gilbert Adair
The story of three young cinema buffs living in Paris in 1968, the basis for Bertolucci’s film The Dreamers
5)The World Crisis by Winston Churchill
The Prime Minister’s history of World War I
6) Where Troy Once Stood by Iman Wilkens
Posits that the Trojan War took place in England, and that The Iliad and The Odyssey are based on oral histories of a major war between Celtic peoples circa 1160 BC
7) General Printing by Glen Cleeton
Everything you ever wanted to know about letterpress printing, but were afraid to ask
8) The Curse of Lono by Hunter S. Thompson
The gonzo master’s take on his two trips to Hawaii
9) The Principles of Knitting by June Hiatt
Voluminous reference on knitting techniques
10) Dear and Glorious Physician by Taylor Caldwell
Fictionalized account of the life of St. Luke