Drug money split for Wisconsin police, schools

A law change Up In Wisconsin meant to help school libraries and local law enforcement efforts almost certainly will help the war on drugs, proponents say.

But the odds are against it helping school libraries much, if at all, at least one public official said.

The school library fund, called the Common School Fund, is funded in part by money that police confiscate in drug busts. But in cases in which federal authorities are involved, local police are allowed to keep 70 percent of any money of more than $2,000 confiscated in a drug bust. The federal agency gets to keep the remaining 30 percent.