Cites & Insights: Crawford at Large 7:9 (August 2007) is now available for downloading.
It's an odd issue: Four somewhat overlapping Perspectives and an Offtopic Perspective.
The 26-page issue (PDF as usual, but each Perspective is available as an html separate from the homepage) includes:
- Perspective: On the Literature
I believe that gray literature--blogs, this ejournal, a few similar publications and some lists--represents the most compelling and worthwhile literature in the library field today...
- Perspective: On Authority, Worth and Linkbaiting
Yes, it's the dreaded Britannica Blog essay. Yes, I'm late to the game. No, this is not primarily about Michael Gorman, although his blogging (his blogging!) plays a crucial role in the discussion. There will be no fisking here, tempting though it might beâ€”either of Gorman's posts or of some over-the-top responses...
- Perspective: On Disagreement and Discussion
Are librarians willing to disagree with one another?
What a silly question. Of course we are (I'm counting myself as a librarian for this discussion). Consider some disagreements I've chronicled and taken part in here and in my blog, just for starters....
- Perspective: On Ethics and Transparency
How much do you need to know about who I am and how I deal with issues, people and organizations that might relate to my writing? What do you need to know about my ethical standards? How much disclosure assures adequate transparency?
- Offtopic Perspective: 50-Movie Classic Musicals, Part 2 - including Rhythm and Blues Review, Till the Clouds Roll By, All-American Co-Ed, Hi-De-Ho (an hour of Cab Calloway: how can you go wrong?), Royal Wedding...and a whole bunch more.
Not included in this issue: Perspective: On Clever Names for Perspectives. And the Bibs & Blather has appeared instead as an absurdly long post at Walt at Random.