Childrens Trivia Quiz
Bruce Flanders wrote:
Just for the fun of it, here\'s a trivia quiz for you. They
aren\'t too tough, but see how many you can get. This is reproduced from our
library staff newsletter, and was created by the newsletter\'s editor Maria
\"The following are first lines from classic children\'s books. See how many
you can identify, by title and author.
1. \"\'Christmas won\'t be Christmas without any presents,\' grumbled Jo, lying
on the rug.\"
2. \"The first place that I can well remember was a large pleasant meadow
with a pond of clear water in it.\"
3. \"The mole had been working very hard all morning spring-cleaning his
4. \"These two very old people are the father and mother of Mr. Bucket.
Their names are Grandpa Joe and Grandma Josephine.\"
5. \"Buck did not read the newspapers, or he would have known that trouble
was brewing, not alone for himself, but for every tidewater dog, strong of
muscle and with warm, long hair, from Puget Sound to San Diego.\"
6. \"Most motorcars are conglomerations (this is a long words for bundles)
of steel and wire and rubber and plastic, and electricity and oil and
gasoline and water, and the toffee papers you pushed down the crack in the
back seat last Sunday.\"
7. \"When Mary Lennox was sent to Misselthwaite Manor to live with her uncle
everybody said that she was the most disagreeable-looking child ever seen.\"
8. \"The first week of August hangs at the very top of summer, the top of
the live-long year, like the highest seat of a Ferris Wheel when it pauses
in its turning.\"
9. \"If you want to find Cherry-Tree Lane all you have to do is ask the
Policeman at the cross-roads.\"
10. \"From the pleasantly situated old town of Maienfeld a footpath leads up
through shady green meadows to the foot of the mountains, which, as they
gaze down on the valley, present a solemn and majestic picture.\"
(By the way, the quiz from our newsletter last week was: \"What is your
first cousin\'s child?\" The answer: Your first cousin\'s child is your first
cousin once removed. Your child and your first cousin\'s child are second
cousins. One of our local wags remarked that in some places, your first
cousin\'s child would be your son or daughter. But we won\'t go into that.)
>Bruce Flanders, Director
>Lawrence Public Library
1. Little Women
2. Black Beauty
3. Wind in the Willows
4. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
5. Call of the Wild
6. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
7. The Secret Garden
8. Tuck Everlasting
9. Mary Poppins
Hope it was fun!