You are here
My Library and Internet Predictions for 2008
January 2, 2008 - 7:54pm — effinglibrarian
- Google will invoke the right of primae noctis on anyone who clicks the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button (revealing the true nature of who really gets lucky).
- Watch for some social bookmarking sites to merge or clash, often with violent Jet-Shark consequences: Technorati might StumbleUpon Mister-Wong crossing the Bloglines. A Fark ensues with not so del.icio.us results. A nasty Digg incites rivals to Slash(dot) each other and then the whole Kaboodle explodes until the streets run Red(dit).
- The OLPC (one laptop per child) initiative will throw the developed nations educational systems on their heads as fat, lazy video-game-playing kids are surpassed in education and skill by the world's poorest children who've used their XO laptops to master everything from language to technology to music and art.
- Libraries continue to fill with computers under the global telecommunications program created to provide MySpace and Facebook access to Support Know-nothing Youth (who) Never Even Tried (SKYNET). Governor Schwarzenegger promises, "I'll be back."
- The popularity of the Nintendo Wii brings increased use in libraries leading to unprecedented library worker repetitive stress injuries, whiplash and black eyes: Eee! Oy! Ay ay ay!