Get LISNews via email! Enter Your Email Address:
The 50-State Agency Databases Registry, which I coordinate, has launched a new set of subject-focused database collections under the heading of history:
* Biographical Databases - Databases that provide biographical sketches of authors, state officials, famous state residents, etc.
* Historical Media Databases - Databases that provide online access to photographs, video, or audio.
* Historical Newspaper and Magazine Indexes - Databases that index articles in older newspapers, journals and magazine that contain historical information. These databases will usually lead one to microfilmed items that may be obtainable through Interlibrary Loan.
* Museum Collection Databases - Catalogs of state museum holdings which often have historical notes. Museums listed here are either run by a state or by one of the state's political subdivisions
* Official Records Databases - vital records, (birth, death, etc), war pensions, etc.
These pages just launched, so they are a little light on content. The Registry volunteers will be adding to these pages in the next few weeks.
If you are registered with the ALA GODORT wiki and would like to help the effort along, please browse the state pages or search for words from the historical categories and copy and paste databases from the state pages to the appropriate subject page.
Why these topics? Because after making solicitations here, on govdoc-l and on Facebook, more people wanted subject pages for historical materials than anything else. It's my personal hope that when these annotated historical materials pages are filled out, they will be of special value to historians and to schoolchildren stuck with "I need to do a report on the State of _____." It will help them go beyond state symbols and the like.
Hope you enjoy them!