Molly Ivins had an interesting commentary posted on which she states a few facts about Bush demogoguery. She examines the methods by which the Bush campaign machine suck up to women for their votes, and details the credible gap.
To the Ladies in the Room By Molly Ivins, AlterNet. Posted July 8, 2004.
The National Women's Law Center released a study in April, called "Slip Sliding Away," on the erosion of women's rights. It found, under Bush:
- The Labor Department has refused to use tools at its disposal to identify violations of equal pay laws.
- Labor repealed regulations that allowed paid family leave to be made available through state unemployment funds. Now it's unpaid leave only. Labor has proposed new regulations that deprive millions of workers of the right
to overtime pay -- and even gives tips to employers on how to avoid paying overtime when the law still requires it.
- The Department of Justice has weakened the enforcement of laws against job discrimination and abandoned pending sex discrimination cases.
- Among the Bush budget cuts affecting the lives of millions of women are:
- cuts in Head Start and other early childhood education programs,
- after-school programs,
- K-12 education,
- housing subsidies,
- child care,
- career education,
- services for victims of domestic violence,
- the nutrition program for women, infants and children (WIC)
- and Pell grants to help pay for college.