Get LISNews via email! Enter Your Email Address:
This will be my 3rd week into my first semester for my MLIS.
Here are some of my preconceived notions before the semester started:
1. I would be one of the few males in the class.
2. There would be a lot of younger classmates compared to other advanced degrees.
3. I could find a full time job and handle the class work with ease.
4. My classmates would be considered my "competition" in the future job search.
5. Again, I thought there would be tons of young, attractive, bookish females in my classes
1. Surprisingly, there are a lot more guys in my classes then expected.
2. A LOT of my classmates are older, like "coworker-older;" a few of them mentioned that they are in career transitions while other are forced retirees.
3. Even though my classes are blended courses (online and face to face), the amount of work for projects and papers is pretty hefty. One of my project's requirements is almost a part time job in itself.
4. I never realized the spectrum of careers an MLIS can be used for; quite a few of my classmates are planning to work in law libraries.
5. Yeah, I'm fairly disappointed so far with the guy-girl ratio.