Charlotte, NC – In a historic move, five of the Towns in Mecklenburg County have committed to providing one-time support to the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library for fiscal year 2011 (FY2011). In each of the five Towns, local governing bodies met, and approved or conditionally approved an Interlocal Cooperation Agreement with the Library.
The five participating Towns have committed to the following levels of support.
* Cornelius: $175,000 contribution
* Davidson: forgiveness of lease payment in the amount of approximately $37,000; and solicitation of additional donations to total $175,000
* Huntersville: in-kind contributions such as programs, cross-promotion, representative liaison for the Huntersville
* Destinations Round Table, and police/security presence in and around the North County Regional Library
* Matthews: restructuring of lease to defer current payment to 2018 of $205,000
* Mint Hill: $175,000 contribution
With this latest contribution of approximately $730,000 from the Towns, the Library will have approximately $23.3 million to operate its 20 remaining locations in FY2011. This is a significant decrease from approximately $32 million in County funding for FY2010; but an increase from the originally proposed funding level of $17.67 million.
Stay up to date with your source for library status information, SAVE LIBRARIES.